I have a new love in my life. It's called spoken word poetry. Maybe you've heard of it. These people have taken the art of storytelling to a different level. They weave words like expert basket makers, carefully crafting their words into something you can choose to carry with you throughout your life. They go beyond writing their thoughts and feelings down on paper. This is far too static. The dynamic nature of these artists is found in their performance. With such incredible expressiveness and raw emotion, I can't help but get a little choked up when I watch them.
My favorite ones are humorous, yet they nevertheless are just as meaningful as the most poignant and pitiful. What is life if you can't laugh at your own misery, or at least in spite of it?
Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to bare it and share it all; to not only show you the words, but the eyes, the lips, the hands, my heart, my mind, my soul - the fear, anguish, love, lust, happiness, elation, excitement, anxiety, sadness, depression, and so much more hidden behind the computer screen, the lexemes, the unseen - me.
But for now, I'll recommend you just one. A jumping point, I hope, for you to discover all this art form has to offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment